Lucky you! You live in Massachusetts. This means that you are eligible for a Boston Public Library ecard. Why would you want a BPL ecard?
Here are 10 reasons:
- It’s free. Because the Boston Public Library is the official Library of the Commonwealth, BPL ecard services are funded through the State and administered by Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners. It will not cost you anything to join.
- It gives you access to Hoopla, an online database where you can download music, movies, audiobooks and more.
- You can use it to borrow books from the BPL’s Overdrive Collection.
- Check out Pressreader, a newspaper and magazine site that has an extensive collection of English and foreign language materials. All you need is a BPL ecard to take a look.
- Interested in investing? Use your e-card to access Mergent Intellect or A to Z Database to get business and investment information.
- Sign up for Headspace, a free meditation service with 1000+ hours of mindfulness and sleep content.
- LawDepot can help you create your own personalized legal documents specific to your state/province and personal situation. It’s free with an account and a BPL ecard.
- There is no age limit, so your children can get a free e-card and access popular kid’s databases like TumbleMath – a collection of math picture books, Scholastic Bookflix – an e-book site for ages 3 to 9, and MakeMake – a Spanish Language e-book site.
- Are you a teacher or a homeschooler? Check out Scholastic Teachables for free teaching materials and activity ideas.
- E-cards last for two years and are easy to renew online.
This is just the tip of the iceberg, the BPL has over 100 databases. Learn more about getting an Boston Public Library e-card at https://www.bpl.org/ecard/.